Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #342

These clicking noises are not uncommon. I hear them often while they are
eating. Yes, they do eat snails. They suck them out of the shells, keeping
the shells intact. In a couple of weeks your snail problem will be over. The
clowns keep them well under. You will go on finding empty shells. If you see
the clowns dig, you know that they are after the snails! My clowns show
themselves often at daytime, but at night I also find them active. If you
see one lying on its side: be assured this has nothing to do with his
wellbeing.
By the way: provide them with some shelter. The funny thing is that the more
places they have to hide, the more they are out in the open. They are
schooling fish, so 2 is very little and asking for trouble (you cannot have
a real school of at least 5, because soon they will outgrow your 29 gallon).
By the way: my clowns ruin my plants. Still they are my all time favourites.
You may consider bringing the clowns back to the shop and exchanging them
for  the much smaller staying botia striatas. The Thomasi cichlid is said to
be a snail eater too and to leave the plants alone!
Sietske Tol from the Netherlands.
When responding to me privately, please remove the NOSPAM from my email
address

Two clowns may start being unlucky and tease one another. Please consider
buying a third one . 29 gallon is not much >