potassium carbonate

> With our recent discussions of K+, I thought I'd include a little
> technical summary of the two:
>
> KCHO3 - 39% [K+], 61% [HCO3-], solubility of 35.7g/100ml H20,
> pH = 8.2, derivred by passing CO2 into a solution of potassium
> carbonate in water.
>
> K2CO3 - 56.6% [K+], 43.4% [CO3--], very soluble in water, pH =
> 11.6, strongly alkaline, caution should be used.
>
> So, I agree with Roger that the Bicarb of Potassium would be a lot
> safer and easier to work with. And also, Wayne asked about using
> CO2 to make bicarb from the carbonate solution and it looks like it
> can be done. Good luck Wayne and let us know how it goes.
>

> Jamie    <"\\\><
>
> ------------------------------
I have been using pot carbonate for about 4 months as I have a cheap(free)
source from my company.As potassium bicarbonate is made by bubbling Co2
through potassium carbonate i figure that there will be no difference once
it is in my tank with some CO2. I dont have a Potassium test kit so I dont
know how the concentrations vary but I add about 1-2gms Pot carbonate to
some water then trickle it into the outflow from the power head once a week.
I had been using Potassium nitrate but found nitrate levels starting to rise
so I only add this now when levels are near zero.
As far as safety is concerned most people are happy to handle bleach, its a
matter of familiarity, dont splash it about or get it in your eyes and there
shouldn`t be a problem!(IMHO).
Hope this helps Wayne , go for it!
John