Trimming a sword plant

I have several swords in my high-light tank, and the Rubin sword in
particular is growing like crazy. It is getting bigger than I like and is
also shading some of the red melon and marbled queen swords that are growing
a lot more slowly. I want to trim it back but before proceding want to make
sure I am doing it right. My idea is to cut the stems of the leaves as close
as possible to the base of the plant, removing about 1/3 to 1/2 of the total
number of leaves. Is this the best approach?

Peter G. Aitken