Re: tank disaster...copper?

In a message dated 06/07/2000 4:09:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Jon writes:

>  The water pipes to my house
>  are plastic and then short lenghts are copper.  My dad reasoned with me
that
>  unless the water sat in the copper pipes for a long time it would be
>  impossible for copper toxicity to be the case.

Hi Jon,
    Disregard the following if you have already actually tested for Copper in
your water.  A number of years ago a friend in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
mentioned that the city reservoir was periodically coppered to control algae.
 The copper levels were sufficently high to kill marine invertebrates and
probably plants as well.  Any chance you are experiencing a similar
phenomenon?

Pete Mohan
Kent Ohio