Re: Found driftwood

Devan was asking about wayward wood in his yard:

> From: Devan Griffin <dustgrif at gpt_infi.net>
> I have some driftwood in my back yard courtesy of hurricane
>Georges.

Sounds like a pretty good deal (well...,after the hurricane left!). Like
you, Devan, I've collected saltwater driftwood and driftwood from
Lake Greenwood. What I call driftwood is light as a feather, dry,
and well worn. If it has bark material or is wet, give it a good scrub
and let it dry, eventhough I would rather deal with the dry wood.
With no (detectable) rain in a coon's age, our lakes now have a
good supply. Two ways I've dealt with dry wood: I have a HUGE pot
for Lowcountry and peanut boils and if the piece of wood is small
enough, I sink it down with a brick or rock and let it boil. The longer
the better. A lot of the tannins are released and I've had pieces that
would saturate during the course of an afternoon. After a good
scrubbing, toss it right in, since it's water-logged already. The other
is to submerse it in an outdoor trough or kiddy pool and weight it
down. All cleaning can be done then or when it finally water-logs
itself (may take a while...seems like years when you need it for a
tank). Again, a lot of the tannins are purged out then instead of in
the tank.

Good luck and let's hope for a calm hurricane season...we could
use the rain, but not a foot at the time.

Jamie <"\\\><  in Greenwood, SC where the only green grass is at
the golf course, and there's a limited amount of that!