Re: Growth inhibition (was APD V4 #328

Hello Paul,

A similar inhibition can be seen in Daphnia:

As the culture gets more dense, the reproduction rate slows down and
then stops completely, despite sufficient available food. At this point,
depending on the Daphnia strain, one of three things happens:

a) They produce ephippia
b) The culture crashes
c) The culture slowly thins out (the Daphnia die of old age?)

Often "a" is followed by "b", but not always.

There is even a (German) term for the excreted inhibitory substances --
"Hemmungstoffe". In some instances they can be removed/reduced by
filtering through activated charcoal.

Best,

George