Re: killing mycobacteria

In a message dated 06/05/2000 3:52:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Aaron writes:

 >  Our microbiologist has tested the effectiveness of bleach on mycobacteria
>  and found it doesn't kill myco.  We use nolvasan or maxima.
>
>  Aaron
>
>  - -----  "Fish TB" is caused by mycobacteria.  Sadly, the best treatment
>  for mycobacteriosis in fishes is to dispose of the fishes, discard the
>  contents of the tank, and sterilize the equipment with household bleach
>  diluted to 10%.  Pete Mohan, Kent, Ohio-------

Hi Aaron,
    I had heard this from our lab folks also, but when I looked in the Center
for Disease Control's protocols for handling Mycobacteria, 10% household
bleach was the recommended disinfectant.  The high concentration is
important.  This 5000 ppm solution is much more potent than the 50 ppm I
normally use to sterilize tanks.  I have never tried quaternary ammonium
compounds on equipment.  Have you done so safely?   The products I have used
tend to be quite soapy.

Pete Mohan