Java Fern propagation

I have a friend who wants a piece of Java Fern for her fish bowl.  It's a big
enough bowl, about three gallons, and her light levels are low enough to keep
it from getting monstrous.  I have  Java fern growing on a piece of "chupa
wood" (the stuff they sell for lizard tanks that looks like it was woven
rather than grown) that has begun to grow out beyond the boundries of the
wood.  Can I slice off a piece of the rhizome and transfer it to another
piece of wood, or would the injury be fatal to the whole thing?

Bob Dixon