Re: silicone remover and Walstad's methods

Re: silicone remover

I used steel wool and a scouring powder to remove all traces of old
silicone from the glass.  It worked well for me.  The 55 gal leaker that I
bought and fixed back in 1974 is still holding up just fine.

Re: Walstad's methods

I have gone a lot longer than 6 months.  I have some guppy tanks that I
have not changed any water for 2.5 years.  I have replaced evaporation
losses with rain water.  Fish and plants still doing fine.  To these tanks
I have added micronutrients, chelated iron, potassium chloride, magnesium
sulfate, and some lime for calcium.  I have pulled frequent crops of plants
from these tanks.

Paul Krombholz, in dry central Mississippi, where it is looking like we may
get some rain, tomorrow.