RE: Parasitic/worm infestations

By your description they may be Camallanus sp.

Adrian

----------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 14:08:38 EDT
From: Biplane10 at aol_com
Subject: Parasitic/worm infestations

Just wanted to post this for general information. Recent mention of
culturing
live foods, especially mosquito larvae, as we head into the summer season,
has been made.

I recently watched my previously vigorous blue rams succumb slowly.
Inspection and dissection revealed intestinal parasites.

One of the worms is still unknown, and I'm waiting for analysis. It's
reddish-brown in color, rather pointed, and maybe 1/4" - 1/2".

There were visible worms, in the anal area of the fish, which are referred
as horsehair worms. Very, very tiny, threadlike, and gently moving. You
wouldn't notice unless studying quite closely. As I said, these are called
*horsehair* worms, and they protrude from the body in this way. They are
carried by mosquito larvae.

I've been using frozen foods for quite some time, and only recently started
experimenting with culturing my own. I use both Bio-pure and Sally's.
Bio-Pure claims to be parasite and bacteria free (how would they know?), but
Sally's makes no claims. Mosquito larvae, by nature, endure freezing. I'd
bet
the parasites do too.

I don't know the damage the reddish-brown worms will do. I was told the
horsehair worms are very bad, and will kill the fish.

Sylvia