[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #314

Troi wrote:

>.....this thing you think maybe called Rhizoclonium ate my Java Moss.  Not much
>of the plant left from my attempts to pull the algae out.  Seemed to
>either deplete the life of the Moss or to obsure the light, but the Java
>Moss never took off and turned dull then brown from the beginning.  It is
>the only plant that has failed to thrive, so far, in my tank.
>Tell me about the bleach treatment. Any ideas on the "Rhizoclonium?",
>besides the FFF?

Plants are treated with 5% liquid bleach, 19 parts water plus 1 part liquid
bleach.  Delicate, thin-stemmed plants get 2 minutes, most other plants, 3
minutes, thick stemmed plants, such as Crypts, swords, Anubias, Aponogeton,
get 4 minutes. The plants are immersed in the solution and agitated
continuously. After rinsing, the plants should be immediately planted in a
tank free of hair algae.  Since the treatment damages the plants, they
should be given good growing conditions so that they can recover.  It makes
no sense to put them back in a tank that still contains hair algae.  Tanks,
gravel, etc. should also be sterilized.  Java moss survives 2 minutes,
which should be long enough to kill the Rhizoclonium, or whatever it is.

I have an article about the treatment in The Aquatic Gardener, Vol. 4,
number 5, but, since there seems to be a lot of interest in the bleach
treatment recently, as well as some misunderstandings, I am in the process
of producing another article for TAG titled, The Bleach Treatment,
Revisited.  You can read some discussion about the treatment on the Krib at

Paul Krombholz, in dry central Mississippi, where we got about a quarter of
an inch of rain last night.