RE: Water analysis & getting plants into Canada

> Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 16:06:30 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Richard J. Sexton" <richard at aquaria_net>
> Subject: Water analysis
>
> Anybody know where to send (well) water to have it analyzed? Preferably in
> Canada.

Richard, check here..... http://www.caeal.ca/cert.html It is a complete
listing of Environmental Analytical Laboratories in Canada, current to
February, 2000. Surely you should be able to find a place there to see if
your well water is safe.

> Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 14:18:21 -0600
> From: Chuck Gadd <cgadd at cfxc_com>
> Subject: Shipping plants to Canada?
>
> Can anyone provide any info/tips regarding shipping plants into and
> out of Canada?
>
> First, legally what is needed?

I leave the issue of physically shipping the stuff to you, but I can answer
your legal question.

What is legally required depends upon what you are intending to send into
Canada, where it is coming from, and where it originated.

All living plant material crossing the U.S./Canada border is going to need a
Phytosanitary Certificate that is obtained from the U.S. Government. That's
at YOUR end. Depending upon what species of plants being imported into
Canada, you may or may not require a Permit to Import. The following URL,
which is for the FOOD PRODUCTION AND INSPECTION BRANCH, ANIMAL AND PLANT
HEALTH DIRECTORATE, PLANT PROTECTION DIVISION (a section of the Canadian
Food Inspection Agency)
http://www.cfia-acia.agr.ca/english/plaveg/hort/horte.shtml has the nitty
gritty details, but in short, for true aquatic plants, please refer to
http://www.cfia-acia.agr.ca/english/plaveg/protect/dir/d-94-27e.shtml.

I need not go into the details..... if you really want to do this, the URL's
given here will tell you more than you ever wanted to know.... just follow
the various links.

Good luck...... you are going to need it..... the Canadian Government is a
master with red tape....and Customs Inspectors at the borders take their
jobs very seriously. Make sure that every "i" is dotted, every "t" is
crossed, and all paperwork is fully and completely filled out. Failure to do
so will probably result in the plants being seized and destroyed.

James Purchase
Toronto
(15 year vetran of the red tape monster...)