Starting plant-filter tank help?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of setting up an experimental 10g tank with a peace lily
(spathyphyllum?) growing emergent to serve as a nitrogen sink.  I'm
thinking no-tech, room-lit, no co2, etc.  I'll probably use profile
substrate. Ideally, I want a lot of the stems submerged (8-10 in) with
leaves sticking out.

What should I do to help the plant adapt to life with roots and some stem
underwater?  I know people are using them for plant filters, where they
are just roots in the substrate, but can they be grown emergent too?

						Elliot.