No Subject

At 03:48 PM 5/28/00 -0400, James P wrote:
>to raise the KH to around 4 to prevent a potentially disasterous drop
>in pH (add a bit of baking soda to the water

Dave G responded:
>Does anybody but me worry about adding sodium salts to gain a desired anion
>or chloride salts to gain a desired cation?   Wouldn't we be better off
>with potassium in place of the sodium and with bicarbonate in place of the
>chloride???????

Given the small amount of baking soda  you have to add to most low
alkalinity tap water, I doubt that it would make much difference - it
certainly should not upset the ionic balance of the mass of water in the
tank.

And you can hardly find a more convenient source for a reliable, relatively
safe chemical than your nearest grocery store.

James Purchase
Toronto