Re: Yeast CO2

Jon wrote:

Currently I am using DIY Co2 on my 30gallon tank but soon will have setup a
proper pressurized CO2 system.  My question was now that it has become cold
here my CO2 doesnt seem to last as long.. I have bene using a mix of 1/4
teaspoon of yeast to 4 cups of sugar in about 1.5L of water with a pinch of
bicarb of soda.. and I get about a week out of it before it dies... does the
cold effect the reaction ??

I write:

Cold does effect the production of CO2 quite a lot but I think the problem
is with your recipe. A 1/4 tsp. of yeast doesn't provide enough nutrition
for a prolonged fermentation and the cold is just compounding the problem.
You should use more yeast to begin with or add more yeast when production
starts to drop. After a couple of weeks you could also add yeast nutrient
and this will prolong the fermentation even further. The amount of sugar you
are using is way too much for the length of the fermntation. My rule of
thumb is about 1/4 cup of sugar per liter per week to a maximum of 1 cup per
liter. Your current recipe is probably throwing away about 3 1/2 cups of the
sugar you are using.

Personally, I use 1/2 tsp of wine yeast in 4 liters of water with 4 cups of
sugar and 2 tsp. baking soda. After a week or so I add another 1/2 tsp. of
yeast and after 2 weeks I add 1/2 tsp. of yeast nutrient. I add more yeast
nutrient after 5 or 6 weeks when production has fallen too much again. By
the time the fermentation comes to an end the S. G. is often less than 1.000
and most of the sugar has been consumed.

Wayne