Yeast CO2

Currently I am using DIY Co2 on my 30gallon tank but soon will have setup a
proper pressurized CO2 system.  My question was now that it has become cold
here my CO2 doesnt seem to last as long.. I have bene using a mix of 1/4
teaspoon of yeast to 4 cups of sugar in about 1.5L of water with a pinch of
bicarb of soda.. and I get about a week out of it before it dies... does the
cold effect the reaction ??

Also I am intersted in compact flourscents.. how do yous t them up ? Do they
have an inbuilt ballast ??

Cheers,
Jon Hammond