Re: New flowers

> It probably is a somewhat modified leaf that is sometimes produced before
> the flower is.  All flower parts are essentially modified leaves---the
> sepals, petals, stamens, and ovary are all modified leaves.  The "bananas"
> are probably roots, modified for storage.  The spot on the main stem that

Thanks for the cool info.

> If you still have one of these structures, try opening it up and see if it
> looks like a leaf inside.  Are there veins?  Is it green?

Yup, you win!  One of these modified leaves stayed in the water, and it
opened to form a small 1" diameter floating leaf.

My banana plant is still happy, sending up a new runner with a
meristematic region every day or two.  I've started pulling out the
maturing new plantlets to prevent them from stealing all the light
in the tank.   I don't know what magic happened, but it's only
this one banana plant.  There is another in the same tank, on the
opposite side, and it's runners don't have the growth points.

--
Chuck Gadd