Re:Madagascar lace Plant and silicone

Sylvia wrote:

>How do you keep your plants . . . conditions, potted, water parameters
>(including temp) & substrate?
>
>AAG carries a lace plant, they call Aponogeton fenestralis.  Teepot's
>Aquarium Plants lists a few different plants, all listed as Madagascariensis,
>but different varieties. The difference mainly seems to be the width/shape of
>the leaf itself. Plant size is not given.

I have had success growing them in mostly gravel with a small amount of
soil mixed in the bottom layer.  It has been my experience that they do not
like soil with very much organic matter.  The commercial soils, laterite,
fluorite, etc. should be fine.  Subsoil, the layer below topsoil, is fine,
also.

One other thing that I think is important for lace plants is to have other
plants growing near the lace plant.  Small or medium crypts are good ones
to use.  I think that the roots of these "helper" plants are beneficial in
some way for the lace plant.  Perhaps the aeration of the soil provided by
the roots of the other plants is beneficial.  Whatever it is, I have had
success with lace plants only when other plants are growing nearby.  I once
had a lace plant go for five years continuously without any rest period
when I had it in a pyrex baking dish tray with C. undulata and C. x
willisii.  I got seeds from that plant and was able to raise about 20
little plants to the size where their "bulb" was the size of a marble.  At
that size, I took them to my local fish store.  I was never able to get
seeds from the big A. guillotii plant, even though it bloomed profusely,
because the flowers wouldn't self-fertilize or cross fertilize from one
flower to another on the same plant.  I grew the seedlings from my other
plant (madagascariensis or henkelianus) in silica sand with a small amount
of mud mixed in the bottom layer of sand (clean sand on top of that).  The
mud was made by mixing subsoil with enough water to get a soupy mixture.
Lace plants also need CO2 additions, as they are not good at competing for
low levels of CO2.

Looking at the lace plant pictures in Tepoot's book, the one labeled
madagascariensis looks like the one described as henkelianus by Muhlberg,
the one labeled henkelianus looks like my big one, guillotii, and the
labeled "west coast" looks like called madagascariensis by Muhlberg.  The
narrow-leaved form pictured in Kasselmann's book is guillotii.  It looks
almost dead in the picture.  By the way, the English version of
Kasselmann's book will be available in July, according to Amazon.

Currently, I don't have any lace plants.  The ones I had were victims of my
having too many plants and not enough tanks or time to take care of them
all, in other words, neglect.

Bob Olesen wrote:

Did you cut off the previous layer of silicone or just clean well and go over
the old silicone?

I cut away the previous layer with a single-edge razor blade and then
scrubbed off the thin layer of old silicone still adhering to the glass
with steel wool and an abrasive scouring powder, such as Ajax or Comet.  I
wanted to get the glass absolutely clean.  I rinsed many times and then let
it dry for several days before applying the new silicone.

Paul Krombholz, in summer-like central Mississippi,