Re: APD V4 #298 - MAdagascar lace plant

> Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 18:33:02 EDT
> From: "Sylvia"
>
> My limited experience and everything I've read indicates
> otherwise . . . I'd love to have this plant, but hate to watch it
> keel over after less than a month.
>
> Sylvia

> > . I dont think they are particularly sensitive.

Depends mainly upon the "freshness" of the tuber/bulb. One not so far from
dormancy will tend to be able to handle things less effectively than one
fresh out of dormancy.

Take, for example, the one I'm going to offer to you. I must have gotten
things just right the last time I "rested" it - once placed back into a
55-gal show, it simply took over and became one of the largest I've ever
maintained. (I'm thinking that 3 or 4 of these leaves, when sewn together,
might make a decent volleyball net ;-)  ).

At any rate, it was replaced with a more proportioned Echinodorus, the whole
plant simply dumped into a 5-gal pail of changewater and set outside the
door in the shade produced by the upstairs decking. This was at the
beginning of March - it's now about ten days from June and the thing still
produces. By now it should have expended enough excess energy to make it
more "normalized" in growth patterns.

Sylvia - it's also yours if you want it. If so, contact me off-list with a
shipping address and I'll trim it up and mail it to you. For the others -
well, take the info for what it's worth, 'cause a single bulb ain't gonna go
'round now, d'ja know?...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10 at mindspring_com