Re: Availability of Florida Flag Fish

>  Ok I am sold on these as a possible soloution to the algae problem in my
>Java Moss which the Japonica don't seem to want to touch.  My only 2
>concerns are that they would bother the smaller fish in the tank - tetras
>mainly with a couple of Rasboras in for good measure, and that they would
>turn their noses up at the algae in favour of the daily flake food feeding.
>I would put in more Japonica but they really don't seem to enjoy the algae
>in the middle of the moss.  Also how hard is it to get hold of these guys?
>My LFS tried to order some awhile ago so I could see them and got Flag
>Cichlids instead.

If you can get 'em I recommend getting them small (Jordanella floridae;
Florida Flag Fish  [FFF] grow to abt 2.4").  With one exception, mine are
all less than an inch.  I am getting reports that the bigger ones will eat
glosso so be warned.  they are not a delicate anti-algae tool.   The
smaller they are the more efficient they are as biological algae control.

Ask your LFS to try another supplier.  FFF are an inexpensive, native
species to the US.  Unlike so many other fish in aquaria, they  are not
inbred so they have high disease resistance.  Don't forget to tell the LFS
guy their scientific name.

See my ONGOING UPDATES of Plants and Driftwood  at;
http://floridadriftwood.com/aquariumplants.html
HOMEPAGE:  http://www.floridadriftwood.com
eBay specials;  http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/boukmn/