Aquarium Lifespan

All,
    My 55g is approaching 15 years of service, and I have never had any major
problems.  However, I am seeing some of the silicone sealant on the outside
(a thin bead inside a small bevel) fray and break off.  I am under the
assumption this is from years of cleaning.
    I was wondering: Is there a typical lifespan on silicone sealants, or is
there a suggested frequency on refurbishment of the aquarium?  Or is the
lifespan of aquarium sealants indefinite?

TIA,

Eric