Aged water. Driftwood leaching

1. I thought I read or heard someone say once that you can get rid of
chlorine naturally by aging your water. Is this correct and is 24 hrs
enough?

2. My water is quite yellow in tint. How long will my driftwood continue to
leach? How much carbon should you use per gallon of water? Is there any
circumstance besides medicating that carbon shouldn't be used? I was toying
w/ the idea of putting some in a bag and dropping it in my canister w/ the
E-mech and E-sub. OK?? I am running some in a Mag 350 now but it never seems
to catch up.

  Jeff