RE: Well water

> Thanks for the responses to my query on well water. Regarding un-oxidized
> iron in the water. I noticed iron rust like stain at the bottom of a
> container after a few days. Is this form of iron available to
> plants ?  By
> the way I didn't smell any Hydrogen sulfide in my water and the
> hardness is
> not too excessive, according to my plumber who put in a water
> softener for
> me. My well is 250 ft deep. Thanks.

If that "water softener" is the common type that exchanges the Ca and Mg
ions for Na ions (if it uses salt...) then make sure that you draw the water
for your aquariums from a tap located BEFORE the water softener. Household
water softeners do not produce very "plant friendly" water.

James Purchase
Toronto