Different cabomba problem

I added Cabomba to the almost established 40 gal plant tank two weeks
ago.  The stuff grows, as someone said, like a weed, but is getting
spindly, very long stems growing very fast.  I pinched back the parts of
the plants floating at the surface, but the rooted stems are just
getting longer, with the leaves far apart.

Will these plants bush out?  Should I plant the clumps closer together?
Keep pinching them back?

This is the Cabomba that turns a bit red on teh underside in med. light.

I must be doin something right, as the fish are happy, the Amazon Swords
growing well and one of the Aponos has sent its second huge shoot out of
the water and out of the tank.

TIA
troi