Re: SAEs / Florida Flag Fish

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Dwight wrote:

> I don't know why SAE's and Amano shrimps EVER got so popular w/ us plant
> people.  SAEs are finniky algae eaters w/ low appetites.  You have to watch
> them for days to see them eat any algae!  They have never served as
> effective tools for algae control in my tanks (I have never had red hair
> algae).  I desided to try a preliminary experiment: I added a small patch
> of green hair algae to a two-year-old 39gal aquarium with a SAE.  I am
> watching this algae patch grow from 1sq" to 6sq" today...so I feel this is
> anecdotal enough for me to say ,,,"S---w this!" and throw in a FFF!  NOW
> this is an algae eater!

I can't say much for the shrimp myself, but I do have to stand up for
SAEs.  Mine graze constantly and leave no algae in their wake.  They'll
even graze the hair on my arm if I leave it in the tank more than a second
or two.  There are some SAE look-alikes that don't eat much algae and it
seems that some SAEs with behavior problems.

Roger Miller