Re: Smuggling plants: Clear cut right/wrong??

I won't paste in Ali's entire posting, but rather simply respond to it in
whole.  Here in the US we have English sparrows and starlings out-competing
most songbirds.  We have thisles from Ireland and dandilions from Germany.
We have tropical plants choking southern waterways.  We have zebra mussels
choking municipal water supplies and water treatment outputs.  We have fire
ants destroying the native populations all over "Dixie", and they are finding
ways to adapt to colder climates.  A few weeks ago on this very list we had a
case of someone accidentally introducing Java moss into water gardens all
over the neighborhood.  And we are spending bundles trying to stop the damage
to wetlands being done to purple loosestrife.

The government regulations may be a ppain, and not even particularly
effective, but we have to start somewhere.  These regulations are generally
written by well-meaning but poorly informed politicians.  If you don't like
the rules, work to educate those writing them.

Bob Dixon