RE:CO2

>I was browsing the archives of late and happened upon Karen's Co2 diffuser.
> A clever little device consisting of little more than an upturned bottle
>passively accepting Co2 from the bottom mixing w/ water flowing in from the
>top.  Subsequent ideas were sudmitted adding bioballs and the like, but
>IMHO its still Karen's idea until something really radical comes along.
>
>I've come up w/ an idea that also adds to Karen's design but before I
>invest the effort in a prototype I'd like your opinions.  The top diagram
>is my modification.  The bottom diagram is Karen's original design (plus
>some modifications suggested by others)
>http://www.mindspring.com/~boukmn/Co2Diffuser.jpg
>
>My hope is since the powerhead's impeller premixes the Co2 the overall
>apparatus should produce a richer more Co2 saturated out flow.  What do you
>Lurkers think?

Careful not to get too awful close. I have a patent pending on such a device
from several years ago.
Not that I'd sue anyone:) Maybe if a big company that had some $ did,
then..........
I'll gladly send one of my internals CO2 reactors to you Dwight. They can
use any source of CO2 and they work with yeast!!!!!!!!
You can also use a controller with a yeast source with them BTW. Nothing
else does this on the market. It's very simple also. Built in bubble counter
also. Self leveling & has a burp valve so not too much CO2 gets dissolved.
Very easy to use with no weird stuff. I should sell them but...........I
like planting tanks too much and am getting ready to go to UC Santa Barbara
here real soon. Perhaps I should anyway........maybe talk to Marineland or
something to see about selling it to them. It's mine right now though. *I
have it on Auto CAD*. Nippon a LFS in SF wants a few and there will be one
in a couple of their tanks. They are cheap too. I also have a super
efficient small mega reactor that I have installed on several larger tanks
(it can use yeast also) that can be used somewhat like the old dupla 400
reactors but even better. I have models that range from 10 gallons or so to
whatever you want upwards. These are all designed for low pressure set ups
using a needle valve or yeast. Some folks like the HP set ups.........but
the disc need cleaned and kept free of algae. They are very fine filter disc
and can clog easily. Not good for maintaining a stable CO2 if they get old
or clogged as they will push larger bubbles up as they clog. If you keep
them clean they will do nicely, especially on smaller tanks and it's fun to
watch tiny bubbles out of the disc but so is the Reactor I have that
produces very fine bubbles too.

>For those w/ extensive mechanical Co2 experience, could a design such as
>this one be sucessfully configured to a high pressure system?  I read
>somewhere that Gomberg frowns on the approach but correct me if I'm wrong.

No. I have never seen Dave frown. I see him laugh quite often but never
frown. He's right about it though. But you could add the Disc below the tube
but you would have to make sure that the bubbles were big enough to go up
the tube but not too big that they won't suspend some what going up the tube
to help dissolving. So you may as well use an airline as they have a nice
size bubble for this so having HP will not help nor control at the high
rate. Place a small power head near it or a downward flow from the filter if
you want to increase the CO2 dissolving in the water. HP and disc cannot be
used with yeast also. The clogging issue/flow issue and the how accurate a
needle valve is, is a big debate, but they both work and I have both on
different tanks for different reasons. There are pro's and con's to both.
Hope this helps you.
Regards,
Tom Barr