Re: Red Sword Recommendations

|Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 23:16:29 -0700
|From: "Robert H" <robertpaulh at earthlink_net>
|Subject: Re: Red Sword Recommendations
|
|The Ruby sword, according to my supplier is a unique hybrid, (of what I dont
|know). It becomes very dark red, in some cases almost a red black, with
|yellow veins. I have grown them out from 4" up to 15".  Another unique
|hybrid is the Indian Red, (Echinodorus "indian red")which is pictured in the
|Teepot book and is produced by Florida Aquatic Nurseries. I dont know where
|the hybrid originates from, (I know its not in Tropicas catalog). When fully
|colored up from submerged growth it is a solid bronze red color with oval
|shaped ruffled edged leaves. The submerged leaves are rather thin and tend
|to tear easily. It truly looks unlike any other sword I have ever seen. I
|dont know what their maximum size is, but I have bought them in excess of
|15" tall. The ones I currently have are half emmersed leaves, and half
|submerged. Sometimes I can get fully submersed plants.
|
|Uruguayesis is not a red sword, but I like the look of it because of its
|long ribbon like leaves. They can get quite large. I had one for three years
|that ended up taking up a whole corner of my 100 gallon tank.
|http://www.aquabotanic.com/PC250008.JPG   Several lurkers here have both the
|Ruby and the Indian red, perhaps someone will tell you on or off list how it
|has grown for them.

Greetings all,
Lurker here,  ;-)   I picked up a sword of some kind at my LFS about a month
ago.  I have it in my 55gal. 100% florite onyx sand (more like small gravel),
and have been using plant sticks similar to JOBES.  This sword produces new
leaves that are red in color, but as they get larger they become more of a light
green.  It seems to grow just as fast if not faster than my amazon swords.  The
leaves appear to be more delecate than an amazon.  It is a wonderful addition
and adds nice color to the corner of the aquascape.

by the way, how does one go about getting some java moss?  My LFS has no clue
what it is.  Thanx,

-Lee