Re: Red Sword Recommendations

At 03:48 AM 05/11/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>I was sent something which was
>supposed to be an Indian Red, but looks nothing like the picture in Pablo
>Teepot's book. At first I thought it might be ozelot or ozelot nova, but
>grown emersed. It's been in my tank a few weeks, and leaf color and shape is
>growing in the same, submersed. Could someone identify this? At
>http://home.earthlink.net/~sylkohler/index.html

Notice the red/green splothy colors on the leaves. I believe it is the
so-called "Red Flame." This is what I call the "green on red" variant of
ozelot. I can't tell from your photo if it is the submersed or emersed
form. Grown underwater and with sufficient light, the newer leaves get a
brilliant dark red color with constrasty light green splotches.

>Not only the green and red horemanii swords, but also another variety with
>narrow, strap-like green leaves is included in the E. uruguayensis group.
>This one, I believe, really doesn't belong with the others.  I had a plant
>of this narrow-leaved variety produce floating leaves in my 75 gallon tank,
>when it had the tank to itself with plenty of light, nutrients, and CO2.  I
>have not seen any mention in the literature of this ability to produce
>floating leaves.

Two comments: (1) Haynes and Holm-Nielsen (1994) say that the leaves for E.
uruguayensis are  submersed or FLOATING. This distinguishes this species
from most other perennial Echinodorus whose leaves are submersed or
EMERSED. They also give different descriptions for the floating and
submersed leaves.
(2)Most of my experiences with this species is with the red horemanni
variety. At times, I have had my red horemanii grow so large in the 70
gallon tank that its leaves were unable to stay totally under water.
Consequently, they would pile up and part of the leaf would be essentially
"floating" on the surface. Because of the tight quarters, the leaves could
not float evenly and parts of the leaves would be partially out of the
water and dry out.This was not a pretty sight. Maybe this was different
than the floating behavior of your strap-like uruguayensis-type Echinodorus.
--Neil