RE: Red sword/uruguayenesis

>Not only the green and red horemanii swords, but also another variety with
>narrow, strap-like green leaves is included in the E. uruguayensis group.
>This one, I believe, really doesn't belong with the others.  I had a plant
>of this narrow-leaved variety produce floating leaves in my 75 gallon tank,
>when it had the tank to itself with plenty of light, nutrients, and CO2.  I
>have not seen any mention in the literature of this ability to produce
>floating leaves.  The leaves were thick, oval, 6 to 8 inches long, and had
>stems three or four feet long.  The plant would have covered a circle with
>a 7 foot diameter if it had room to spread out.  I have kept the red
>horemanii under similar conditions, and it showed no tendency to produce
>floating leaves.  This narrow-leaved uruguayensis seems quite different
>from the red or green horemanii, and I don't think it ought to be lumped in
>the same species.

I have the same opinion and experience as Paul. Mine had a waxy covering on
the floating leaves and they were quite orangish in color. The red horemanni
never did produce a floater. I had them get huge like Neil's "trees" also. I
have gotten rid of mine(uruguayensis) but was wondering.........are they
like lilies, having their stomata on the top of the leaf? I should've cut a
leaf off and looked under a scope but never did. I doubt they do but was
wondering about those floaters, not the submersed leaves etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr