Re: Crypt. ciliata

Roger

If you wish to try them emersed in a "bowl" then you could maintain the
humidity over them with a plastic bag upended over them and loosely attached
or resting on the bowl below.

I have seen large stands ( e.g. 20 feet by 200 feet) of this plant on tidal
mangrove mudflats up in PNG. I would be interested to hear from you if they
are reproducing by runners or by axillary plantlets. I got the impression up
there that "latifolia" seemed to use plantlets that detach and drift off
with the tides and currents as a colonising strategy whereas the "narrow" or
"ciliata" subspecies was more a runner producer that stabilised mudbanks and
could resist stronger currents and handle higher salinities.

BTW the tallest plants I was able to approach were about 4 feet tall with
leaves about 3 inches wide and 30 inches long - not your usual aquarium
plant.

Regards,
Bruce Hansen
president at angfa_org.au