Decaying plant mulm

I have heard reports of adding fish food to a non-stocked aquarium to keep
the nitrifying bacteria viable. I can understand that this is possible due
to the Oxidative breakdown of the animal proteins found in most fish foods.
In the decaying process of these foods, ammonia (um) is released.

Does decaying plant mulm create any ammonia (um) release (even in minimal
quantities) through the same Oxidative breakdown? If so, does this release
occur over the duration of the decaying process or just at the beginning?
Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Tom Bates
Allentown, PA

NetZero - Defenders of the Free World