David's shoplights (was Re: RE: Gitte's Crypts)

David,

In my previous message I forgot to comment something about the shoplights.
Are you planing to use them as is ? My experience with shoplights around the
house (the $10 type from Lights of America) is that the ballasts that come
in then are worthless. They tend to burn the tubes too soon, light output
decreases too soon as well. In my house I have 5 LOA cheapo fixtures (average
two years old) and two need replacement already because their ballasts are
gone or almost gone. For an aquarium application I wouldn't think twice but
replace the shoplight ballasts with something more reliable. Or try to find
shoplights with good ballasts. Anyone knows if such thing exists ?

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD