Aquarium Landscapes Products and K+ Supplements

klHi all,
I had an email from Shawn Prescott and thought I'd pass on their URL:
www.jagunet.com/~fishvet. He informed me that their available plants are on
the site, and their products will be soon.

I have no affiliation with Aquarium Landscapes, but want to relate an
experience I had while trying to obtain information regarding their
potassium supplement which I hope Shawn reads and responds to.

I have been wanting to supplement potassium as I have a bunch of Riccia, and
am using a method to keep it submerged without the use of wood, rock,
fishing line, or hairnets that allows easy trimming and removal from the
tank. I want to see if there is any appreciable increase in growth with
potassium addition. Riccia uses a lot of K+, according to some of our
esteemed list members. I had corresponded with a fellow member of the list
regarding sulfate and muriate of potash (thanks Tom!), but have decided to
go with a commercially prepared supplement, even though it costs a bit more.

Pet Warehouse sells some Aquarium Landscapes products, and I noticed they
have a Potassium Supplement, called Formula K. They also have the only
Potassium Test Kit I have ever seen available. Pet Warehouse also carries
Seachem's Fluorish Potassium, which I believe is a new product. The Fluorish
Potassium label clearly states that 1ml per 10 gallons of water will raise
potassium level by 1 mg/l and gives a guaranteed analysis of 4% K
(potassium). I was trying to determine which product would be a better value
and called Pet Whse and talked to one of their reps about the Aquarium
Landscapes product. The catalog states that Formula K treats 2,500 gallons.
The Pet Whse rep physically got one of the Formula K bottles and had it in
hand as we talked. The directions were to add x amt per x volume of tank
water (I can't remember exact amounts). The problem was that there was no
information as to what concentration of potassium was in the Formula K, what
concentration a given amount of Formula K would provide in a given amount of
tank water, and even what the volume of the bottle of Formula K was. This
made any accurate comparison to the Seachem product impossible.

I ordered the Seachem product because I did not feel comortable with a
product that gave so little information. I don't know about others on the
list, but I like to know something about a product before I put it in my
tank. I am not making any judgement as to the quality of Formula K, as I
have never used it. I like trying new things as they become available, but I
believe Aquarium Landscapes would do themselves a favor with consumers if
they included more information on their supplements, particularly if their
other product labeling is similar to that of Formula K. The above only
applies to my experience regading Formula K, and no other Aquarium
Landscapes product. I would like to try their products, but only if I know
more about them. For me, Seachem sets the example for providing excellent
product information. This information makes me feel comortable in the
purchase of their products.

Regards,
Dave