RE: Gitte's Crypts

Wouldn't that be research done _after_ the fact? Had you done much
_preliminary_ research, I doubt that Crypts would have been among your
initial choices for a newly established tank.>>

Interesting. You mean to say that I have finally done something right? <g>
I'm in the process of setting up a 120gallon FW heavily planted tank. I drive
to TFP for the 12 bags of Flourite, an Eheim 2228 and two 250watt heaters
tomorrow. I picked up three shop lights and six Chroma 50 tubes today. So
I'll be ready to go within the next few days.

I intend to plant heavily right off the bat and would appreciate the input of
those more  experienced than I. Thus far I have decided on

30 - 50 Val's of various kinds. Jungle, Italian crystal
5   more or less bunches of Ceratopteris
5 Aponogeton rigidifolius or as many as I can find
ditto with Aponogeton crispus
5 -  Swords (barthii, Marble Queen,Rubin, etc) ( but I concerned that I may
be jumping the gun here a bit)
5 - 10 Alternanthere reineckii * Roseafolia*

And whatever else that might catch my eye that is relatively fast growing and
likes slightly soft and slightly less than neutral pH. I'm keeping away from
the Crypts and other delicate lower light plants until the aquarium has
stabilized, the plants growing well and established shaded areas where the
aforementioned crytps will go.

Any and all suggestions, plant recommendations and or comments would be
appreciated. But more specifically:

1.. Lighting - - is 240 watts of Chroma 50s in the ball park or should I be
considing adding  another 80 watts or so?

2.  Fertilization -- with a nearly 100 percent Flourite substrate in a newly
set up tank, what fertilization schedule  would you suggest. I'm inclined
toward using Fourish + Iron  in the water column and Flourish tabs in the
substrate. But frankly I'd rather lose a few plants then have my tank turned
into pea soup with  an explosive algea bloom.

3. Initially, to soften and lower the Ph  I intend  to float nylon bags
filled with peat moss in the tank , and then later condition the water I use
for water changes in the same manner. I appreciate that quantities depend on
the chemistry of my water and that it's a fine tune as you go process but,
what type of peat would be best and or acceptable for this use?

Thanking the list in advance.

David Napierkowski
Focaipoint at aol_com
Annapolis, Maryland