Re: Plant growers

Karen wrote:
>From your E-mail address, it looks like you were trying to order for a
public aquarium?  I don't know what the FAN policy is on doing business
with a public aquarium.  My understanding is that they mostly supply
wholesalers who will buy in sufficient quantity.  Talk to your local
wholesaler and see if he gets (or can get) plants from FAN.  If not, call
FAN back, and work on developing a relationship.  Even if they can't handle
your business now, if you keep at it, perhaps if they get enough requests,
they will see that it is worth expanding their business.
While it's tough to be told that a company can't handle your business, I'd
rather that they know their limits and do a good job servicing the
customers they already have, than to expand too rapidly and not service
anyone well.  Remember that if and when Tropica plants are available in
this country, they won't be found on every street corner either.
Another grower that produces a nice selection of potted plants is Gilberg's
in Missouri.  They took over the Petsmart accounts when Jirmack couldn't
handle the uneven order schedule that Petsmart insisted on.<<

Florida Aquatic Nurseries does supply most of the wholesalers here in the
USA, and wont sell to any end user. They are not taking on any new
wholesalers either as their production is all booked up. Gilberg is a small
nusery who also supplies the plant packages to Pet Warehouse, and they told
me they are not taking on any new customers. Jermack buys from FAN and
supplies independent pet stores all over the USA and Canada, as well as me
and Arizona Aquatic Gardens.  Jermack is very protective of its dealers.
There are other nurseries in florida that either import from Singapore or
buy from FAN, or both, but availability of plants at any given time is the
biggest problem, particularly if its a one time sale. Most wont do it. A
mail order house may be your best bet to work out a deal for you.

And according to what I was told, if Tropica does make it here, the selling
price will only be attractive to the most avid collector. Most of Tropicas
plants can be found here already, same species anyway.

Robert Paul H
http://www.aquabotanic.com