Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #259

>Aquatic Plants Digest       Tuesday, May 2 2000       Volume 04 : Number 259
>

>In this issue:
>
>        Clear outdoor tank
>        Re:IDMiamiBob at aol_com CO2 forest
>        Plant Growers
>        Magazine errors
>        Trilobate Java Ferns
>        Aquarium Heute/Today's Aquarium
>        Journalists?
>        journalism?
>        Penn Plax Ultra Tri Lux & MTS
>        Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #258
>        Florida Aquatic Nurseries
>        Re: Tropica Plants
>        Re: Gitte's problems
>        Re: Lighting help
>
>See the end of the digest for information on unsubscribing from the
>Aquatic Plants mailing list and on how to retrieve back issues.

>Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 17:51:14 +0800
>From: "Joo Tan" <zoologist at mailcity_com>
>Subject: Clear outdoor tank
>
>Hi folks!
>
>Just want to share this experience with all of you here.  The water in my
>20 gallons outdoor tank has always been green and i cannot see a single
>thing in it.  But that problem is over after i put in 2 small bunches of
>emerged Ceratopteris.  Within 3 weeks, the water is clear.  I'm not using
>those ceratopteris to shield off the sunlight but to absorb the nutrients
>in the water column.  The plants i got is bout 1.5 feet high so part of
>the plants are emerged and only stay in 2 little corners of the tank.  A
>few bunches of vals stop growing after the water became too green for the
>light to reach them but they resume their growth right now.
>
>The tank does not have any filtration, aeration or additional CO2.  Only
>sunlight and a dozen of fishes.  I would suggest to you guys out there to
>use that to clear the pea soup in the tank.  I reckon emerged ceratopteris
>will do a better job at that as the emerged one grows much faster then the
>submerged and can get the CO2 from the atmosphere.  If you put in more
>ceratopteris I reckon the job could be speed up much faster.
>
>Regards,
>Joo
>in sunny and rainy KL, Malaysia
>
>ps:  I did not plant the ceratopteris in the gravel.  Just use some big
>stones to weight it down in a plastic pot.

Richard Sexton, who runs the crypt mailing list, swears by Ceratopteris as
an effective green water remover.  I am going to try it next in my
experimental tank.  I have already tried Ceratophyllum, Hygrophila
polysperma, and Egeria densa, and for all three, the plants have to get
really dense before the green water clears up.  They have to cover the
surface and shut out most of the light reaching the bottom.  The guppies
have a hard time fighting their way to the surface to feed when the green
water clears up.

Paul Krombholz, in central Mississippi, where we are getting very dry,
again.