Re:IDMiamiBob at aol_com CO2 forest

IDMiamiBob at aol_com wrote:

<snip>
> Typical treehugger approach.  Pump extra CO2 into the atmosphere because we
> are worried about hothouse gases.  They could have built a couple of large
<snip>
No, they are not worrying about greenhouse effects. The *documentary* was
about greenhouse effects. The experiment in question addresses the problem
of carbon lockup into biomass. In fact, if they get favorable measurements,
as it seemed to be the case, the treehugger movement will lose one against
the energy industry. It will mean that forests are good CO2 "absorbers" and
can help counteract the extra human-produced gas.

As for using large greenhouses, they probably would have to be *so* large that
they would offset any economy in gas production. The forests they are studying
are *real* forests, including many 60' tall trees, the main CO2 consumers, and
all other necessary "supporting characters". It's not likely that experiments
conducted on a smaller scale can be scaled up linearly, and their experiment
tries exactly to address those possible non-linearities.

Sorry for the off-topic thread.

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD