Biological Filtration in Planted Tanks

I got to thinking about the thread that was going on for a good while about
the pros and cons of biological filtration for tanks that are heavily
planted, while doing a pH check on tanks today.

I noticed on one of my tanks than I am no longer able to read the pH. As it's
only slightly discernible between 6.0 and 6.2, I am thinking it may below
6.0. (Yes, I know I could buy a low-range pH test kit). I don't mind acidic
conditions in this tank, but curious as to the pH range suitable for
nitrifying bacteria. As I recall, they don't thrive in acidic conditions,
especially as it falls below 6.0. I'm wondering at what point one gets a
*biological filter crash*, if at all.

And if this does occur, then the conditions needed for keeping plants
supplied with a majority of ammonia as opposed to nitrate would be to
maintain an unfavorable environment for nitrifying bacteria, i.e. on the
acidic side. This, of course, would have to be in sync with the type of fish
kept in the tank.

Any sense to this?

Sylvia