[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #225

> > "Ron Barter" (Perth, Ontario) <mistnfrost at superaje_com> wrote:
> >     I too have been trying to find a source for plastic tank trim
> (as well
> > > as the plastic hinge used to connect front and back sections of glass
> > tank
> > > covers) without any luck. Anybody know if we can get our hands on this
> > > stuff, or is it's distribution controlled by some clandestine tank
> > > manufacturer's cartel <g>?
> >
> I've been looking for a good source for 10 years.  My conclusion
> is that yes, manufacturers have the parts made and don't want
> to distribute the parts because the margin is in the assembled
> product.  (Tanks are very easy/cheap to make, and cost an
> unreasonable amount of money, IMHO.)  I can get the lid hinge
> over-the-counter, though.
> It's actually pretty easy to have a plastics company make the
> die and provide the parts to you (our company does this all
> the time).  It's hundreds of dollars start-up, but then you can
> get a zillion of the things pretty cheap.  I'm thinking about doing
> this myself since I've made a lot of tanks for me and friends, and
> I think a few custom tanks for plants would be neat (I'd like a tank
> that exactly fits the top of a file cabinet.  My 29g is up there now,
> and it sticks out a little and is too thin.)
> I have a day job and don't want to go into the tank business,
> because shipping assembled tanks is expensive (heavy,
> issues of breakage).  However, if I ever get around to it, shipping
> the plastic parts would be cheap and easy if anybody wants to
> help split the cost of the die.
> Hey... if we got permission, we could even have the AGA logo
> molded into the tank's frame.  ;-))   Does the AGA need a
> fundraiser?  This is how REI got started.
> - --charley
> charleyb at cytomation_com
I can't help with the plastic frame. But.....the plastic hinge to connect
the front and back pieces of a glass canopy are available from Pet
Warehouse. They are listed on page 40 of the late winter 2000 paper catalog.
Check their on- line site for these item #'s 931066, 931105, 931118, and
931131. They also list the black and brown handles for the glass tops also.
Bob Buettner
From rainy and cool NW CT
Looking for places to find info and equipment for your planted tank? check
out my extensive links page @