Re: Filter Media?

I also have a Fluval (303) as the single filter in my 46 heavily planted,
heavy fish load, never vacuumed, aquarium. After some initial experiments,
I settled into: ceramic noodles in the lower basket, and 4 floss disks in
the middle and upper baskets. I've been using this for almost one year now,
and the water is crystal clear. I clean the filter at about 5-6 week intervals.

Beware to plug the holes that remain after you lock the top basket cover
in place. They are responsible for a significant amount of water bypass
(really bad filter design). I make plugs of tiny pieces of foam and stick
then into the openings. Otherwise the tank water never gets *completely*
crystal clear.

-Ivo Busko
 Baltimore, MD