Re: Trouble growing Vallisneria and Sagittaria

I recall reading many years ago (60s) that these plants have an
alelopatic (sp ?) incompatibility. Never kept both in the same tank.
I observed that vals tend to, from time to time, develop yellowish leaves
and shred them at the base, eventually dying off. The cure I always used
mostly with success was simply to remove the entire bed and replant whatever
healty remains I can salvage. They eventually recover. I always did that
in non-plant tanks (plain gravel, UGF, low light, no fertilizer except fish
food) but in my current high light + laterite + CO2 + PMDD plant tank I see
the same behavior and so far managed to fix it by replanting.

-Ivo Busko
 Baltimore, MD