Java Fern?

I was just wondering what the best way to start a Java Fern was?  The plant
I recently bought looked good however the roots appeared a very dark brown.
I read on Tropicas site that it was best to plant them in the substrate for
a while until newer roots formed.  After this you should attach them to a
piece of wood etc...  I was just wondering what I should do?  I have grown
many othr plants sucessfully in this tank, but never a Java fern.

Couch