Pleco's and Plants

Hello Birdy,

There are many, many different species (hundreds) that are called "plecos".
In fact, the term "pleco" does more to confuse than to enlighten, and I
suggest you might be better off by striking it from your vocabulary and
referring to Loricariids (the family that includes "plecos") by the genus to
which they belong.

Members of some Loricariid genera perform useful service in planted tanks.
For many other genera, there is not a good match. Either the fish will
destroy the plants or the conditions in the typical planted tank will
destroy the fish. If you are talking about the common pet store "pleco", it
is not a good match for a planted tank, especially as the fish gets older
and larger (they can grow to to 2-3 feet, though most get killed off long
before they reach adulthood).

For more info, visit Shane's World at www.planetcatfish.com.

Dinyar