Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #175

In a message dated 3/26/00 2:56:59 AM US Central Standard Time,

<<
 > Last summer, I put some new aquarium plants directly in to my pond.
 >  Apparently, what appears to be Java moss was on something, and it has
 taken over.  It covers everything.  Last summer I was taking it out by the
 >  bucketful and a few days later it would be back.  I figured the winter
cold
 >  would take care of it, but it didn't.
 >
 >  Also, since I gave some hardy Lilly starts to friends, now their ponds
are
 >  also infested with it.  Any help appreciated.

 If it is actually Java moss(it probably is), I have a couple of suggestions-

 1) drain the pond, fill it with gasoline, and light it with a VERY long
match.

 2) fill the pond in and start over at least 35 meters away from the original
 site.

 3)Roundout  It kills every green thing it gets close to.

 4).... Well, actually, those are the best three I can come up with.

 As for your neighbors, I can only suggest that you pray long and hard that
 God erase their memories of where this blight originated.  Failing that you
 can either hire a couple of bodyguards or move out of town.
 ;-)

 But seriously, if you can find a type of pond fish that will eat it, it
 doesn't grow very fast.  It will, however, always manage to survive in a
 little tiny corner somewhere, and come back again when your fish get fat and
 lazy. >>

Well, this stuff grows fast in hot weather.  What is the best way to
positively ID this for sure if it is Java Moss?  Can someone send me
descriptions or any sites online?
Or if I send them a small sample?

Worse than doing it to a neighbor, I did it to my best friend's two ponds.
He keeps referring to it as algae and I keep correcting him.  Guess I'd
better keep my mouth shut.  :>

I'm supposed to get some flagfish in next week for a natives tank I have set
up at a library branch.  I'll run a test tank and see if they will eat it.
Any other fish suggestions?

Chuck Church
Indianapolis, Indiana USA