Deep Substrater

>>>>Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 09:24:11 -0500
From: Jared Weinberger <jweinberger at knology_net>
Subject: Underground Cocktail for Success?

We've having very good success with our swords and other root feeders with
the following "cocktail" every two months or so:

  1 Root Tab plus Iron
  1 Substrate Gold Nugget
  1 Flourish Tab
  1/2 Jobe's stick (13-4-5 formula)

Burried deeply, no ice, not shaken, for each root feeder, or between
closely planted one. I think these fertilizers complement each other in
what they offer. My other hunch is the depth of our substrate (gravel +
laterite), 5-8 inches, plays a role in permitting good root structure. I'd
be interested in hearing more about results with deep substrate, a topic I
haven't seen covered.
Jared<<<<

I've used substraters that are 4 - 6 inches deep for the last few years. The
heavy root feeders do very well with a deep rich substrater. Swords and
Aponogetons did especially well with it. Some of the crypts did very well.
The sagittaria and Vallisnereria also did very well. Extra feterlizer used
was tablets from Delaware Aquatics and Job 13-4-5 sticks every 6 - 8 weeks.
On occasions a shot of Flourish or flourish with Iron.

Best Wishes,
Ray