Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #173

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 19:17:39 EST
From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
Subject: Re: Light choices (was lilaeopsis info)

Chuck writes:

>Why do people use 32 watt bulbs?  Aren't these 4 footers?  Why not just
>get four 40 watts and get more light, or use three 40 watters, and get
>the same amount of light for less money?  I'm missing the point.  I mean,
>4 tubes over a 55 takes up the whole top of the tank.  It takes extra
>effort to get them to fit.  Why not maximize your investment?
In my case I want to maximize the amount of light i can fit in for my
money... $3 for SPX50 bulbs is a LOT cheaper than compact flourescents and
if I want to I can still fit in a couple 40 watt compacts or a metal
halide or some such thing because the 32 watt bulbs take up less space
than the 40's...
Also, FWIW it was easier for me to find a 4 bulb electronic ballast for
the T8's.