Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #172

Chuck writes:

> I'm not positive if this is a flower, or some other interesting feature of
>  Nyphoides aquatica.  Can anyone give any info about this?  Is this going
>  to produce a new "banana bunch"?

I looked at your pictures and yes, those are the flowers starting to form.
The flowers of N. aquatica form from stalks just below the leaf and will
eventually grow up and emerge at the surface next to the leaf. However, I
don't think this has anything to do with "banana" formation. There was a
previous string concerning this plant and apparently the formation of
"bananas" has more to do with nutrient storage when the plant is stressed
rather than reproduction. (I had mentioned that wild N. aquatica in Florida
do not produce "bananas" but instead have complex systems of thick roots.
When these were transplanted to my outdoor pond, the "bananas" began to form.)

Craig