Re: Amquel

Thomas Barr said...

>I have used this one product on Chlorine and now Chloramines for several
>years(15+ years) now. Amquel is in no way harmful to plants nor fish. I have
>had many species of plants and Discus and some other touchy fish over these
>years. Never in any way did I have problem using this product or resulting
>from using it. I do large water changes too(25 to 75% weekly) so if there
>was something going on I would have been and would be now in very big
>trouble!!

I agree that it is a very good product. I use it when treating water
for a tank which is not heavily planted. However, I recently ran into
a couple of drawbacks concerning its use. I used it when setting up a
quarantine tank to house some new acquisitions. When they came down
with ich I increased the temperature and treated with Maracide. The
ich did not diminish during the first four days which is unusual. The
reason finally dawned on me when I remembered adding the Amquel to
sequester the chloramine. The packaging states that Amquel interferes
with dyes such as methylene blue.

About one month ago I lost two tanks of daphnia after replenishing
the cultures with green water from a third aquarium. Again I had
forgotten that the latter tank had been treated with Amquel at
about 1/3 strength. This effect has been discussed recently in
the Live Foods Digest. No proof of course, but it has happenned
once before to me and to several others.

Normally I do up to 75% water changes using sodium thiosulfate.
However, Ottawa water is treated with less than 1 ppm chloramine.
In my heavily planted tanks I doubt that the ammonia released
lasts beyond an hour. It works well for me. I'm sure that locality,
pH, and fish species affect toxicity and YMMV.

--
Dave Whittaker
Gloucester, Ontario