Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #163

> Uh, then were do the nutrients come from to grow the algae? If the
> algae are using these  to grow then the plants are
> using.........something else? Perhaps in the substrate....were the
> algae can't get at them but foliar feeding of plants and algae compete
> for the same nutrients most of the time. When conditions are right for
> plants, they will prevail and when they are not they won't and the
> algae will. The trick is to make an environment that is great for
> algae and bad for plants AND the tank should be bad for algae and
> great for plants........ all in one system.

My intended point was that the vascular plants will outcompete the
algae for nutrients.  Sorry if that was not clear.

Prost,

Martin
------
"Cry to it, nuncle. as the cockney did to the eels when she put
'em i' the paste alive; she knapped 'em o' the coxcombs with a
stick, and cried 'Down wantons, down!'"